Friday, July 8, 2011


When I was a child, I spoke and thought and 
reasoned as a child.
But when I grew up, I put away childish things.
1 Corinthians 13:11

This is the third entry on the subject of Manhood and what it means to be a man in today's culture...

Today more than ever we need to answer this most important question. How does a boy become a man? A godly man with character, conviction, and purpose?

One thing I have discovered with my sons over the last almost 40 years is that it takes a clear, distinct, and intentional purpose and process... to get there! Hey dad, your sons will grow up regardless, but will they arrive at the place that they know how a man of God should act? Or understand his unique responsibilities as a husband or a father to his own children?

Culture is clueless when it comes to real manhood... there is no real answer because we are a fatherless generation! Fathers are absent, so there is no man to look to... and when the father is in the home, we have a difficult enough time as adult males to maintain our masculine outlook in this mixed up “gender neutral” culture, so imagine what it must be like for our young sons growing up! Most of our social problems such as rising crime, violence, abuse, and lack of morality come from a directionless and disconnected generation of sons. The best hope we have for this generation is in dads who are taking man rearing to heart and empowering their sons with a legacy of manhood...

I have to say that when I had my first son almost 40 years ago, I had no clue of how to grow him into a man... I could hardly be considered one myself. I was like many, a selfish boy in a man's body, a poser, looking grown on the outside, but all the characteristics of a boy on the inside. To make it worse, I didn't have a clue or even looked for one! My first glimpse of how far off track I was as a real man was when I became a Christian. As I started studying out the holy Scriptures, I found God's idea of manhood and the road map to get there... This last 36 years has been a journey of discovery that has brought me and my 3 sons into the rich rewarding christian life of manhood that continues now into a third generation of grandsons, praise God!

Fathers need two invaluable keys in raising godly sons. First is a clearly defined, biblical definition of manhood. Second we need a process that we follow that will get us there. Somehow we think our sons will just “get it”, but we need a directional process that we can monitor to know we are on right track.

Every son deserves a father that is loving, affirming, and there; but they also need a father that gives vision, direction, and instruction in becoming a man.

I continue on our next blog entry, so stay turned... Stay fearless and faithful men,Karl

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking the reigns on this subject and run with it wholeheartedly! I cannot think of anyone better to do it! You've done an amazing job with the boys and it shows in how they love their wives and especially their children. Above and beyond that you didn't just stop with the boys, but you have reached beyond that to the next generation...the grand babies! Being a woman who never had that father/grandfather figure in her life it brings peace and healing to see Andrew and you love on, spend time with, nurture, pray for, guide and train the children up on a daily basis. So thank you for deciding to follow after God and train up your children in the way they should go, I am truly a blessed woman because of your decision to do so!
    Love u Mucho Dad!
    Kristen

    ReplyDelete