Wednesday, August 19, 2009

God's Purpose's Will Prevail

Came across a book in my library that I last read over 15 years ago. “The Light and the Glory” by Peter Marshall and David Manuel, which gives the true history of America and answers the question, “ Did God have a plan for America”? They share this quote from a famous historical figure... see if you can figure out who...

“It was the Lord who put in my mind (I could feel His hand upon me) the fact that it would be possible to sail from here to the Indies. All who heard of my project rejected it with laughter, ridiculing me. There is no question that the inspiration was from the Holy Spirit, because He comforted me with rays of marvelous inspiration from the Holy Scriptures... For the execution of the journey to the Indies, I did not make use of natural intelligence, mathematics or maps. It is simply the fulfillment of what Isaiah had prophesied...

No one should fear to undertake any task in the name of our Savior, if it is just and if the intention is purely for His holy service. The working out of all things has been assigned to each person by our Lord, but it all happens according to His sovereign will, even though He gives advice... Oh, what a gracious Lord, who desires that people should perform for Him those things for which He holds Himself responsible! Day by day, moment-by-moment, everyone should express their most devoted gratitude to Him.”

If you said Christopher Columbus you would be correct... The first time I read this I was blown away, because I never heard this in school... I was taught that Columbus discovered the New World by accident when he was looking for a trade route to the Indies... I never heard anyone mention about his faith, or that he felt it was his mission from God, and that he was being led by the Holy Spirit all the way...

My big question is... If God led a man to discover this land for a purpose, have we continued fulfilling God’s purposes for America? Have you discovered your purpose?

Karl

4 comments:

  1. Awesome reminder to be aware of, and faithful to God's directives - He will be faithful always, all we have to do is follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome story, i guessed correct but had never heard that either!....

    my philosophy on this is that whenever we step out in faith to do something for which we believe God has called us to do, it doesn't matter if we were correct or not, God will align the results he wants for us and make it right that which we wrong in faith!

    i have tested this theory many times and one result was Asher....so i know it works! thanks for the reminder pastor....love ya! blessings...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm the same way... blown away by the amazing way God moved in so many peoples lives... and that we never learn this type of thing in school. This is an amazing quote and story, and wonderful reminder of what God has in store for America. We all need to do our part!

    :)
    ~Tabitha

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had not heard this historical information either...I believe I am walking in God's purpose. I pray and get still to listen to make sure I follow His guidance. Praise God.

    ReplyDelete