Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Baggage Check

I taught in our series “Crazy Love”, at Faith City this last Sunday... I used the scripture in Matt 22:37-40; Jesus said to him, “You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
Jesus summarized our whole responsibility into two tasks: Love God and Love people... I believe that Loving God with my everything means - to get my FOCUS on God first... and the sad truth is for most believers it’s not. Why? Because most of us focus our time and energy on our baggage... and everybody has baggage from the past that needs to be dealt with. Baggage can be emotional hang-ups, legalism, addictions, and unresolved offences, past hurts, past relationships...and even though it is painful to keep holding on to it... it can seem painful to give it up too... So we get really good at hanging on to it...
BUT here’s the problem... Whatever we keep as baggage keeps us living in the past, and affects our walk with God... So you and I must lose our baggage if we are going to walk free...
SO, HOW do I lose my baggage?
1) FORGET the past... Isaiah 43:18 says... Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past. See, I am doing a new thing!
2) FORGIVE all offenses... 1 Peter 4:8 says...Love covers a multitude of sin (baggage)... And Col. 3:13 says...Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.
3) FOCUS on Jesus... Hebrews 12:2 tells us... Let's focus our eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith...
I don’t know your story- but I know that no matter how much baggage has collected... we can check it all on God’s Love airlines where He promises to lose our entire luggage... So check it in or haul it around, it’s our choice...
The pics show me demonstrating how hard it is to follow God when we are lugging around all our baggage that has collected in our life... Many said it changed them forever...Peace, Karl

1 comment:

  1. i was there for this one but it never hurts to hear it again as a reminder. good word pastor! blessings...

    ReplyDelete